Palms West Monthly
Posted April 3, 2017
Summertime is fast approaching and now is the time to start thinking about matching your child’s interests to just the right summer camp.
When choosing the right camp, however, remember that summer camp is also the perfect opportunity to allow your child to try something new, maybe pick up a musical instrument for the first time or work on developing a smooth forehand stroke out on the tennis courts.
Not only is summer camp a place to develop new skills, it’s also a time when new friendships can be forged.
Fortunately, with the wide array of camp choices out there, there’s a camp available for every interest.
Throughout Palm Beach County there are camps for every type of child – the artistic, the science-mind, the indoorsy as well as the sports fanatic.
If you can’t decide on just one, try choosing a few for a summer smorgasboard sure to give them lots to write about on their “What I Did on Summer Vacation” paper when school starts back up in the fall.
Palm Beach Photographic Centre’s Foto Camp
The Palm Beach Photographic Centre will offer three age-appropriate FOTOcamps for children and teens this summer.
FOTOcamp is for anyone between 10 and 17 years old who has an interest in photography and/or computers and is inquisitive and likes adventure. It’s the perfect opportunity for youngsters and teens to gain knowledge in all areas of photography, beginning with the basics of picture-taking using SLR digital cameras and progressing to state-of the-art digital imaging, at each participant’s own rate of speed.
FOTOcamp students are grouped by their level of experience – from beginner to advanced – in each of the three 2-week summer sessions.
Students are each issued a digital SLR Camera and while exploring lens choices, lighting and composition of photographs they will learn about photography and digital imaging in a fun and fact-filled environment.
Sessions in the computer lab will expose them to downloading images to the computer, saving and renaming files, burning CDs and creating slide shows.
Using Adobe Photoshop and Elements, they will learn image adjustment techniques such as color correction, compositing images, adjustment layers and layer masks and other digital imaging technology. The computer lab is set up so that each student has access to a computer, ensuring the ultimate hands-on experience.
The culmination of all three sessions of FOTOcamp for Kids will be a special exhibition of photos taken by the young students. At the exhibition’s opening in August, one talented FOTOcamper will be named Student of the Year and receive a free DSLR camera.
• Cost: Each two-week session is $745 for Photo Centre members, $795 for nonmembers. Cost includes use of digital SLR Cameras, transportation and admission fees for field trips, T-shirts, prints, etc;
• Dates & Hours: The camp’s three 2-week sessions are June 12-23; July 10-21; and July 24 – Aug. 4. Hours are 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Monday through Friday;
• Location: Palm Beach Photographic Centre is in the downtown City Center municipal complex at 415 Clematis St. in West Palm Beach;
• Contact: Call 253-2600 or go online to workshop.org.
Junior Golf Camp
Whether your child has dreams of playing on the PGA or LPGA Tour or just wants to learn the basics of golf, the Junior Golf Camp hosted by the Junior Golf Foundation of America is the answer.
All instruction is lead by PGA and LPGA professionals and camps are offered at two different sites in Palm Beach County – Okeeheelee Golf Course in West Palm Beach and Park Ridge Golf Course in Western Lake Worth.
Ages for campers range from 4 years old to 17 years old, with three separate age groups and four levels of instruction, so beginners to advanced players can benefit.
Additional camps offered are: Little Linkers Camp (ages 4-6) and Advance Academy (Jr. Tour players).
• Cost: Prices range from $49.50 to $360 depending on JGFA membership, number of siblings and other factors;
• Dates & Hours: June 5 to Aug. 11; Half day options available from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. and a full-day option is available from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. at both locations. One- to four-day options are available;
• Location: Two locations: Okeeheelee Golf Course and Park Ridge Golf Course;
• Contact: Call Okeeheelee at (561) 964-4653, Park Ridge at (561) 966-7044, or go online to JGFA.org.
Summer Music Camp
Does your child have the desire to learn a musical instrument or two? If so, there’s no better camp in the area to learn the basics than Village Music Wellington’s 2015 Summer Music Camp: Music Exploration.
Campers will have the opportunity to learn about and experiment with numerous instrument groups including Keyboard, Guitar/Ukulele, Woodwinds, Drums/Percussion, Violin, Brass and Voice.
The camp’s goal is to provide participants with experiences that are educational, creative and interactive and to musically inspire kids of all ages in a fun group setting.
Campers can choose from three different one-week sessions: June 12-16, July 17-21, and Aug. 7-11.
Campers even get to show off their newly acquired music skills on Fridays with an open jam session from 2-3 p.m. – and enjoy an awesome pizza party!
• Cost: $300 per one-week session includes lunch on Friday. Sibling discounts are offered: $500 for two children;
• Dates & Hours: Camp is offered Monday through Friday from June 12-16, July 17-21, and Aug. 7-11. Sessions run Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.;
• Location: 10660 W. Forest Hill Blvd., #140 in the Fresh Market Plaza in Wellington;
• Contact: Call (561) 798-5334 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Summer Art Experience
Armory Art Center’s Summer Art Experience is filled with fun and creativity. High quality art education includes drawing, painting, sculpture, jewelry, fashion, ceramics and printmaking.
Teens can discover the latest developments in 3-D printing technology with the Armory’s new 3-D printers. Most instructors have a master’s degree and all have had a background check. They provide a safe and enriching environment for your child.
Activities include excursions to local venues and art show receptions in July and August.
Children ages 6-18 are accepted and grouped by age.
In addition, Summer Art Academy will be offered to serious students who plan to pursue visual arts in future studies. Rising freshman and rising juniors can learn more about these intensive workshops at armoryart.org. The academy is offered June 5-9 and July 17-21, Monday through Friday from 10:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Cost is $200 per week.
• Cost: Ranges from $235 per week to $285 per week;
• Dates & Hours: June 5 to Aug. 4. Monday to Friday from 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (no classes July 3-7);
• Location: The Armory Art Center is at 811 Park Place in West Palm Beach;
• Contact: Call (561) 832-1776 or go online to armoryart.org/youthartcamps.
Royal Palm Beach’s Summer & Sports Camps
If you’re looking for a camp that has it all, the Village of Royal Palm Beach’s Day Camp and Sports Camps may be the perfect answer for children ages 4 to 17 years old.
Day camp activities include diverse field trips and activities such as swimming, movies, skating, sports and other special events. Half-day camps are also available.
If your child is looking for a specific sport to play, Royal Palm Beach’s Sports Camps are the perfect choice. They are one week each and feature basketball, flag football, golf, volleyball, sand volleyball, fishing and more.
• Cost: Royal Palm Beach’s Day Camp is $244 per two-week session for RPB residents; $272 per session for non-residents. A one-time registration fee of $60 is required. Sibling discounts are available. Prices for Sports Camps range from $80-$130 for Royal Palm Beach residents; $95-$155 for non-residents;
• Dates & Hours: For Day Camp, Monday through Friday from June 5 to Aug. 4, 7 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. After-care available until 6 p.m. for $1 per day. For Sports Camps, hours are 9 a.m. to 1 or 2 p.m., depending on the sport;
• Location: Royal Palm Beach Recreation Center, 100 Sweetbay Lane, Royal Palm Beach;
• Contact: Call 790-5124 or go online to royalpalmbeach.com.
Casperey Stables Horse Camp
Casperey Stables Horse Camp is a small, fun-filled day camp for children ages 7 to 14. With three riding opportunities each day, arts & crafts and outdoor games, campers find little time to be bored.
The low counselor-child ratio ensures that each child receives individual attention.
Each two-week session has a theme, such as Indian Days, Circus Days and Medieval Days. Horse Camp at Casperey Stables features a weekly water play day and ends each session with a horse show and family barbecue!
• Cost: $450 per two-week session. $430 per session for two or more. Daily options are available for $60 per day and extended care is available for $48 per week. Prepayment discounts are also available;
• Dates & Hours: Monday through Friday, all summer long, 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. with extended hours of 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.;
• Location: 2330 D Rd., Loxahatchee;
Science Summer Camp
Summer is made for adventure! Perfect for young scientists ages 4-14, each exciting week of camp offers hands-on exploration on a variety of topics in science, engineering and technology.
The days are packed with interactive lessons, daring laboratories, themed crafts and outdoor activities led by expert Science Educators.
Themes include LEGO Robotics, Seaside Science, Space Race, MinecraftEDU and more! Register for your favorite week(s) at sfsciencecenter.org/camp.
• Cost: Prices range from $210 to $225 per week for Science Center members and $235 to $250 per week for non-members;
• Dates & Hours: Camps run June 5 to Aug. 11, Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. with before and after care available from 7:30 a.m. and until 5:30 p.m.;
• Location: The South Florida Science Center and Aquarium is at 4801 Dreher Trail North in West Palm Beach;
• Contact: For more information, call (561) 832-2026 or send an email to email@example.com.
Wellington Summer Camp
Wellington’s All-Day Summer Camp offers non-stop fun and a busy enough schedule to keep the most active kids engaged and entertained.
Campers ages 5-15 participate in a fun-filled daily schedule of activities including athletics, arts & crafts, animal exhibits, games and entertainment, magicians, movies, rock wall climbing, field trips, visits to the Wellington Aquatics Complex and more!
Campers are divided by age group for age-appropriate activities. Field trips for the older age groups may include visits to The Rapids, Boomer’s, Dixie Divers, Billie’s Swamp Safari, Fishing Charters, Marlins Games, Ice Skating, Bowling, Rollerblading, beach trips and much more!
Campers must bring a lunch and snacks that do not require refrigeration. Registration must be done in person at Village Park.
Children ages 6-13 will have a great time developing their tennis skills and strategies with a USPTA certified pro in a fun-filled, 3-hour morning of tennis at the Wellington Tennis Center!
The camp is open to all levels of players. Sneakers are required, and a racquet, water bottle and sunscreen are recommended.
Camp is offered Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to noon in weekly sessions except for the week of July 3. Registration is $125 per participant.
• Cost: Summer camp is $160/week for residents; $185/week for non-residents. Tennis camp is $125/week;
• Dates & Hours: June 5 to Aug. 11. Monday to Friday from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.;
• Location: Summer camp is at Village Park, 11700 Pierson Rd. in Wellington. Tennis camp is at Wellington Tennis Center, 3100 Lyons Rd. in Wellington;
Breakers West Summer Camp
Calling all campers for a summer of fun! Sports-minded, adventure-seeking, nature-loving kids ages 4-15 will find something for everyone at Breakers West Country Club this summer. This exciting, action-packed camp is open to the public and includes daily golf, tennis, and swimming, plus wildlife demonstrations, magic shows, arts & crafts, family cookouts, science projects, themed weeks and more.
Campers also enjoy time at the fabulous Kids’ Club, complete with a craft area, game room, movie room and outdoor playground.
Lunch is included and all campers receive a special camp backpack, T-shirt and water bottle with registration.
Before- and after-care are also available.
• Cost: Day Camp is $325 per week and includes lunch and snacks. There is a one-time registration fee of $60 per camper which includes a camp essentials bag. Discounts are offered to families registering multiple children or for multiple sessions;
• Dates & Hours: Monday through Friday from 8:45 a.m. to 3 p.m., June 5 to Aug. 18.;
• Location: Breakers West Country Club is located two miles west of Florida’s Turnpike off Okeechobee Boulevard, at 1550 Flagler Pkwy. in West Palm Beach;
• Contact: For more information, call (561) 283-1064 or go online to breakerswestclub.com/activities/summer-camp.